Dear Prospective Freshman:
UC Santa Cruz is a public university unlike any other in California, combining the intimacy of a small liberal arts college with the depth and rigor of a major research university.
We are an incubator for new ways of learning, of creating knowledge, and of serving the
public -- both locally and globally. For example:
- UCSC astronomers are part of a team that discovered the first potentially habitable planet outside our solar system.
- Our biomolecular engineers recently won recognition for their analysis
of the Neanderthal genome and their discovery of a new human ancestor,
- In our Linguistics Department, scholars are working to preserve endangered
Mayan languages, even as they partner with NASA to develop computerized
voice recognition technologies for space exploration.
- With the opening of our new Digital Arts Research Center in spring 2010, we
continue to explore the possibilities of collaboration between art and technology.
- The Center for Collaborative Research for an Equitable California (CCREC), a
new multi-campus program headquartered at UCSC, seeks to address the state's
interconnected crises in the economy, education, employment, environment,
health, housing, and nutrition.
- In Literature, poets and novelists are earning top honors for their work.
Most importantly, UCSC invites undergraduates to join in creating the knowledge that
marks a great research university, bringing faculty and students together in ways that
elevate both learning and research.
I hope you will consider applying to UC Santa Cruz and becoming part of our extraordinary community.
George R. Blumenthal